super simple coffee cardboard recycled wreath tutorial

It's Wreath Week over at Dollar Store Crafts! Great timing, as just a few days ago, in a burst of Christmas decorating, I made a wreath of my own... using the cardboard sleeves from disposable coffee cups.



I hate the waste of disposable coffee cups. But coffee is also an essential part of my morning commute, and sometimes I forget my stainless steel coffee thermos. I started to collect the coffee sleeves in a drawer of my desk at work - partly to remind myself how much waste builds up over the course of a year - and partly to reuse them at a later date in some craft project that I'd eventually dream up.

The variety of colours and textures that these things are made of is actually quite lovely. Like little swatches of cardboard.

I also have a bit of a history with cardboard coffee sleeves: a couple of years ago, I made a whole quilt out of coffee sleeves.

I didn't take any step-by-step photos while I was making the wreath, but it is super easy to make. Here's how...

Super Simple Coffee Cardboard Recycled Wreath Tutorial

You will need: old cardboard coffee sleeves (don't use new ones; just collect a few, or ask your friends to donate them from their eggnog lattes); a cereal box (ie a larger piece of cardboard for the backing); a glue gun (or strong glue + a bit more patience); scissors, a ribbon.

1. Plug in your glue gun!

2. Cut out a ring of cardboard from the back of an old cereal box. I used two bowls to outline the circles before cutting. You really don't need to be very precise though, as the circle will be totally covered when you're done.

3. Take your cardboard coffee sleeves, and cut out leaf shapes. You don't need a template for this either. Try to vary the sizes of the leaves, so you can tuck some little ones in among the larger leaves.

4. With your glue gun, put a dab of glue on a leaf, then stick it down onto the ring. You want to glue onto the "advertising" side of the cardboard (ie. where it says the name of the coffee shop), so the finished wreath is plain cardboard.

5. Repeat with all the leaves, gradually layering them. Vary the angles of the leaves to create an organic, branchy look. Also mix up the sizes, colours and textures of the leaves as you go.

6. Tie on a ribbon, and you're good to go!


JB  – (December 11, 2009)  

How awesome - great recycling!

Amanda  – (December 11, 2009)  

Great! I think I will have to try this. :)

Regina  – (December 12, 2009)  

Beuatiful! I love it!!

Anonymous –   – (December 12, 2009)  

This is very clever and cute, I would add some flowers from the coffee cup and put some sticks in too as interest.

Lisa  – (December 13, 2009)  

This is fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

Lanie  – (December 13, 2009)  

So pretty and clever! ~Lanie

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com  – (December 15, 2009)  

This is such a super awesome wreath! I am sorry to say I forgot to include it in the voting for the DSC handmade wreath contest, so I'm going to include it in the final voting round (it should have made it that far anyway!). So sorry about that, I feel really terrible about it!! I really love this wreath.

alyssa johns  – (December 21, 2009)  

nice work! i love how you saved those cup holders to remind you of the waste!
i just made my own wreath at www.reworkedart.blogspot.com wish it was recycled though!

Annabel  – (January 03, 2010)  

Very cool, and inventive!

packing supplies  – (January 28, 2010)  

All these boxes are really too versatile and durable .

Siobhan  – (November 24, 2010)  

So cool! Thanks for the link!

Barbara  – (June 22, 2011)  

Ive seen a lot of wreath crafts before but this one is unique. Its very cute. I am going to have to start saving the cardboard when i buy coffee so I can add this to my collection of wreaths.

Siobhan  – (August 22, 2011)  

Thanks, No Impact Bride!

JoAnn SweetPepperRose  – (October 09, 2011)  

Terrific up-cycling project! Thanks for sharing!

Juli  – (December 22, 2011)  

Looks great! I have about 300 coffee sleeves--stuck in a drawer like you did. I have been trying to make a wreath, but my attempts look really amateur, so I am going to start again with your instructions. Thank you!

Siobhan  – (December 23, 2011)  

Good luck with the wreath, Angie! I'm sure it'll look great!

Filipa Sompy  – (February 10, 2012)  

I love this wreath so much I gave it a try, with a Valentine's theme twist.
You can take a look at it here - http://soscraft.blogspot.com/2012/02/dia-dos-namorados-chegar-valentines-day.html
Thank you for sharing!

Siobhan  – (February 13, 2012)  

@Filipa Sompy - Wonderful! A Valentine's wreath is a lovely idea. Nice work!

liveyourlovoutloud  – (September 27, 2012)  

FANTASTIC! I'm hosting a candy tasting party for Unreal Candy and wanted to use the showy cardboard box pieces in my decor...this will be POIFFFFECT. Will blog it and link back to MARVELOUS YOU! MWAH!!! (http://www.liveyourloveoutloud.com)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

visitor count

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP