bee's knees

This story is the bee's knees!

The Beekeepers Ball was held in NYC earlier this week. It was a kickoff to Pollinator Week, an awareness-raising campaign about bees (a population rapidly and mysteriously in decline), a call to action to get beekeeping legalized in NYC, an all-round celebration of bees and honey - and (yeah!) a costume party.



And I just adore this description of the event:

In attendance were New York City beekeepers, aspiring New York City beekeepers, beekeepers not from New York City, friends of beekeepers, friends of bees, people who like to dress as bees, people who like to dress their children as bees, bee-dressed children, one cross-dressing beekeeper, a couple of guys who spend much of their time dressed in armor, fans of honey, fans of local food and a team of French videographers.


Sounds like a great group of people!

You can read the full story on the NY Times site and also check out the slideshow.



All of this reminds me of the bee condos that are up around Vancouver. (More on them here.) I just spotted one of these in my neighbourhood park this week. These are so rad.

From David Suzuki Foundation, here are instructions on how to make your own bee homes.

Bzzzzzzzz...

Lisa  – (July 02, 2009)  

Those bee condos are fabulous, I hadn't seen them around, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. I love that the new convention centre has bee hives and a bee keeper. Thats so Vancouver. =)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

visitor count

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP