Summer in October

I realize that we're now deep into October, but this past Sunday morning has felt so summery. The sun was out in full force. I slept in, made a pumpkin pie, then did a few household chores, all while listening to Michael Franti's Sounds of Sunshine album and dancing around a little.



I didn't blog too much this summer, but it was not for lack of crafting. I was outside a lot of the time, spending time with friends, travelling, and getting up to Squamish to do some rock climbing. My sewing machine did see a little action, too, and I made a couple of handbags. I was really happy with how each of them turned out, especially as  I made up both patterns myself.

Little Sunshine Clutch
I made this bag to use at a couple of weddings I attended this summer. I planned to wear a charcoal grey dress from Smoking Lily, sassed up with bright yellow Miz Mooz flats. (I looove their shoes - super fun and super comfy.) So I needed a yellow bag, big enough to carry a camera and a few items, but small enough not get in the way. The wrist loop handle worked perfectly to keep the bag nearby, but out of the way.



Russian Doll Carry-All Handbag
I also wanted to make a giant summer bag, using this awesome Matryoshka doll fabric I'd been saving for something special.


My favourite part about this bag, beside the fabulous fabric, is the "tulip" top. I made the body of the bag, then left it on my workdesk for a few days, not quite sure how the top band should be... letting it percolate and sketching out ideas every now and then, till the right one struck. I'm glad I didn't just rush ahead with my first idea (which had buttons), as I'm much happier with the tulip.



Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

visitor count

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP