Quilting on my Mind...



The inaugural meeting of the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild was last night. It was a good event, with a lot of energy in the room. Not to mention a lot of people - I think the headcount was 43!

The show-and-tell portion of the meeting was really interesting - there were so many different quilts on display - all with different approaches, patterns and colour-stories - made by a range of quilters from veterans to total newbies. The crowd was super supportive and excited - I loved the communal 'oooohs' and 'aaaahs' when the quilts were held up!

It's definitely nudging me to start on one of the quilt ideas I've been thinking about in the past little while... I have 2 that are on the must-sew list - and after last night, I now have an idea for yet another quilting project...

Which reminds me: I never posted photos of the last quilt I made. I made this quilt just before my nephew was born... and he's about 15 months old now. Better late than never! :)

I wanted to use a palette of modified primary colours - something bright and fun - rather than whites or pastels often found in baby quilts. They have a chihuahua (Hello, Nacho!) so I knew I wanted to use this awesome puppy fabric. Love the teacup chihuahua detail!


UPDATE: Great photos from the meeting here and here!

Holly  – (June 19, 2010)  

Hi Siobhan!

Thanks for the write up about our meeting! I'm glad you felt it was an inspirational and supportive atmosphere - that is my goal with creating the guild.

Thanks for sharing your puppy quilt. I like how you left a large piece of the dog fabric in the middle to show off all the fun details.

Looking forward to see what you quilt next!

Anonymous –   – (June 20, 2010)  

Griff loves the quilt from his Aunt. He is very lucky that you are so crafty! XOXO T

Lisa  – (June 20, 2010)  

That quilt is adorable (I fully support baby gifts that avoid pastel)!

Glad to hear the modern quilt guild is so popular right off the bat. I don't quilt but will probably attend one day just to oooh and ahhh over the awesome quilts!

Siobhan  – (June 20, 2010)  

@ T - Thanks! xo

@ Burrito - You should come! You need more crafts to do, right? :)

cj  – (June 21, 2010)  

I love your quilt! a great choice of colours and the teacup pup is just too cute.

Siobhan  – (June 22, 2010)  

@ cj - Thanks!

@ T - Glad that G likes it! A cute baby deserves a cute quilt! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

visitor count

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP